Satisfy your family's appetite with dinners for 10 bucks or less.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 1/4 pounds bulk pork Italian sausage
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices canned pineapple in juice, finely chopped, plus 1/2 cup juice
- 1 quarter of a chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a medium bowl, combine the sausage and half of the scallions; season with salt and pepper. Shape into 16 meatballs.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Using a fork, stir in the sesame seeds.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning, until cooked through and browned, about 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the pineapple, pineapple juice, chipotle and cumin; cook over medium heat until reduced by half, 10 minutes. Pour the sauce over the meatballs; stir in the cilantro and remaining scallions. Serve on top of the rice.
- Use ground turkey instead of Italian sausage.