Satisfy your family's appetite with dinners for 10 bucks or less.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 pound fully cooked chicken sausage, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- Preheat a nonstick waffle iron to medium-high. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees . In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, beat the buttermilk, butter and eggs. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir to form a stiff batter. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese and the sausage.
- Spoon some batter onto the preheated waffle iron and spread out evenly with a knife. Cook until golden-brown and crisp, following manufacturers' instructions. Repeat with the remaining batter, keeping the prepared waffles warm in the oven. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Kuleto Estate Rosato 2007 (California), Feudo Arancio Pinot Noir 2006 (Italy)
- Serve the waffles with maple syrup.