Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 8 slices bacon (8 oz)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds spinach (2 bunches), stems discarded, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a large, ovenproof skillet, crisp the bacon over medium heat, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Pour off all but 1 tbsp. of fat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in half of the spinach and cook, turning with tongs, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining spinach. Carefully pour off some of the liquid; season the spinach with salt and pepper. Add the cream and simmer until slightly thickened, 2 minutes.
- With a spoon, make 8 small wells in the spinach. Crack an egg into each hole. (The eggs will spread and run together a bit.) Sprinkle with the cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake until the egg whites are set but the yolks are slightly runny, 6 to 8 minutes. Spoon into shallow bowls; serve with the bacon.
- Ounce for ounce, eggs are one of the cheapest sources of protein. Cook them to any doneness you like! An Extra Buck Will Buy You...some bread to mop up the sauce. Halve a baguette lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise and toast.