Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 8 ounces bulk spicy Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup rice
- 8 ounces frozen sliced okra (2 cups), thawed
- Heat a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken, 1 tsp. salt and pepper to taste. Cook, turning, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, onion and paprika and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, rice and 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Scrape down the sides of the pan to make sure all the rice grains are submerged in liquid. Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer until the chicken, vegetables and rice are tender and almost all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the okra and simmer until bright green, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let steam for 10 minutes.
- The thrifty secret to a smoky, Louisiana-style jambalaya? Plenty of paprika! An Extra Buck Will Buy You...scallions and hot sauce. Sprinkle with sliced scallions and pass the hot sauce.