This recipe, with feta cheese and olives, has a buttery crust and a meaty, cheesy center. For a cocktail party, cut it into bite-size squares.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 25 mins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound bulk pork breakfast sausage
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 4 pieces refrigerated biscuit dough, such as Pillsbury
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and oregano and cook, breaking up the sausage, until just browned, about 5 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Grease a 9-inch pie pan with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. Place 1 piece biscuit dough into a large resealable plastic bag and, using a rolling pin, roll into a 1/8-inch-thick disk. Remove the dough from the bag and transfer to the prepared pie pan. Repeat with the remaining dough pieces, pinching the pieces together in the pan to form a crust.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked sausage, onion, feta and olives; spread evenly over the crust. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, egg yolks, milk and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage mixture and bake until set, about 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Wrap the baked pie in foil and freeze. Thaw in the refrigerator, then heat, tented with foil, in a 350 degrees oven for 15 minutes.