Satisfy your family's appetite with dinners for 10 bucks or less.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 25 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 15 ounce box pie dough (2 crusts)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up any large chunks, for 2 minutes. Stir in the paprika and cumin and cook for 1 minute; season with salt and pepper. Add the raisins and pickled peppers and transfer to a wide, shallow bowl; let cool. Stir in the parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . Unroll one piecrust onto a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Spread half of the meat mixture over one half of the piecrust, leaving a 3/4-inch border around the edge. Brush the edge with the some egg and fold over to seal; crimp the edge with a fork. Repeat with the remaining crust and filling. Brush the top and sides of the empanadas with more egg. Cut two 1-inch vents in each empanada. Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Cut in half before serving.
- Sierra Nevada Kellerweis (CA)
- Place the unbaked empanadas on a baking sheet and freeze until solid, then wrap in plastic wrap. Bake the frozen empanadas in a 450 degrees oven for 25 minutes.