Whip up a batch of these hearty waffles on Sunday night, then store them in the freezer for up to three weeks. In the a.m., pop one in the toaster and warm some of our maple ketchup in the microwave. Both will be ready in the time it takes you to find your car keys.
Makes: 10 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 1 link sweet Italian sausage (about 3 ounces), casing discarded
- 1 baking potato, grated and excess water squeezed out
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- In a medium skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 5 minutes. Add the potato and butter, lower the heat and simmer until the butter is melted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in the milk and eggs until smooth. Stir in the sausage-potato mixture.
- Using a waffle maker, cook the waffles according to the manufacturers directions.
- Combine 2 parts ketchup to 1 part maple syrup and microwave for 25 seconds.
- Whip up a double batch and freeze half for up to three weeks--pop one in the toaster when you want an on-the-fly treat.