Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces wild mushrooms, tough stems discarded and caps quartered if large
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- Distilled white vinegar
- 8 large eggs
- In a medium saucepan, add the potatoes and enough cold water to cover. Add salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain in a colander and let cool.
- In a heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion and herbes de Provence; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm. Wipe out the skillet.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the potatoes, season with salt and pepper and fry, without disturbing, until crusty, about 5 minutes. Flip and fry until golden on the other side, about 3 minutes more. Stir in the mushrooms and cook until heated through.
- Meanwhile, fill a large, deep skillet with 1 1/2 inches of water. Add a splash of vinegar and a pinch of salt, cover and bring to a simmer. Working in 2 batches, crack 4 eggs into the simmering water and cook until desired doneness, 2 to 3 minutes for soft yolks. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to paper towels and blot dry slightly.
- Divide the home fries among 4 plates, top with 2 eggs each and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the eggs and home fries over wilted greens.