Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Bake: 45 mins
- 8 large eggs
- 3 1/4cups milk
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 1 pound loaf brioche, cubed
- 1/4pound ham, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, 1 teaspoon salt and the black pepper.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the scallions, garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the bread cubes to the prepared baking dish. Add the scallion mixture, ham and half of the cheese; toss. Pour the egg mixture on top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the liquid is absorbed, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Discard the plastic wrap and bake until golden and bubbling, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- You can prepare the dish through step 3 up to a day in advance.