Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 35 mins
Bake: 1 hr
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large loaf sourdough bread, crust discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces goat cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 12 ounces smoked ham, chopped
- 3 6 1/2 ounce jars artichoke drained and quartered
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Grease a large, ovenproof skillet. In a bowl, whisk together the milk and olive oil. Stir in the bread cubes and let stand until the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the cream, eggs, garlic, pepper, salt and nutmeg. In another bowl, crumble the goat cheese; add the parmesan, fontina, sage and thyme.
- Place half of the bread mixture in the prepared skillet. Top with half each of the ham, artichoke hearts and herb-cheese mixture. Pour half of the egg mixture over the layers. Repeat with the remaining bread, ham, artichoke hearts, herb-cheese mixture and egg mixture. Bake until firm in the center and brown around the edges, about 1 hour.