Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 pound yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as yukon gold, quartered
- 2 carrots
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 3 1/2 ounce package shiitake mushrooms, caps thinly sliced and stems discarded
- Salt and pepper
- 1 4 ounce package dried chorizo sausage, cut into slivers
- 8 large eggs
- Fill a large bowl with cold water. Using a food processor fitted with a shredding disk, shred the potatoes and carrots; transfer to the bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add the chorizo and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to the same skillet. Drain the potatoes and carrots and arrange half in an even layer in the skillet; season with salt. Spoon the chorizo mixture on top in an even layer, cover with the remaining potatoes-carrots mixture and season with salt. Cover with foil and cook, turning the hash halfway through, until the vegetables are tender and just browned, about 12 minutes. Divide among 4 dinner plates.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the eggs and fry for about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Serve over the chorizo hash.
- Swap 1/4 pound chopped bacon for the chorizo in Step 2 and cook along with the onionuse the rendered bacon fat in place of the olive oil.
- Let the water cling to the potatoes and carrots after draining--the liquid will help steam the vegetables while they cook in Step 3.
- Top the hash with chopped avocado and salsa.