For easy slicing, choose a wide-blade vegetable peeler with a non-slip handle.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 3 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes more; let cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise, milk and vinegar. Stir in the onion mixture and chives; season to taste with salt and pepper and refrigerate.
- Heat the remaining oil in a medium, deep skillet fitted with a deep-frying thermometer until the oil registers 350 degrees . Meanwhile, peel the sweet potatoes and thinly slice them crosswise into thin rounds with a vegetable peeler. Rinse under cold running water and pat dry.
- Fry the sweet potatoes in 5 or 6 batches, turning frequently with tongs, until crisp, about 3 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels.