One of our favorite easy dips for the holidaysor any timeour take on this classic will have your guests scraping the sides of the bowl.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 3 mins
- 2 10 ounce boxes chopped frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Half of a small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg (eyeball it)
- 1 13 3/4 ounce can artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (a couple of generous handfuls)
- 1 cup freshly shredded mozzarella or scamorza cheese
- 1 loaf whole grain baguette, cut into bite-size cubes
- In a microwaveable bowl, defrost the spinach in the microwave for 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the spinach in a kitchen towel and wring dry. Tear the spinach into small pieces and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the thyme and lemon peel. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg. Increase the heat to high and cook, whisking often, until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the spinach, artichokes and half each of the Parmigiano-Reggiano and the mozzarella. Transfer the mixture to a casserole. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the dip until bubbly and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Serve with the bread cubes.