This salty eggplant spread is a real crowd-pleaser.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper
- 2 ribs celery from the heart, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Cubanelle pepperstemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 roasted red pepperstemmed, seeded and chopped
- 6 oil-cured black olives, pitted and chopped
- 6 Sicilian or other large green pitted olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped (a generous handful)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sesame, garlic or plain melba toast, or sliced semolina bread
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Prick the eggplant with a fork and roast until soft, about 25 minutes.
- While the eggplant is working, in a medium skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the garlic, crushed red pepper, celery, onion and Cubanelle pepper and cook for 7 minutes. Stir in the roasted red pepper, olives, capers and parsley. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Carefully peel the roasted eggplant. In a food processor, puree the eggplant into a smooth paste; season with salt and pepper. Stir into the veggies. Serve with the melba toast or bread slices.