Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 1 bunch medium beets, trimmed and greens discarded
- 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 strips orange peel, plus 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch watercress
- 6 ounces sliced smoked salmon
- In a large saucepan, combine the beets and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium, cover and cook until crisp-tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. Under running water, rub off the peels. Halve the beets lengthwise and thinly slice.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup vinegar, the sugar, peppercorns, orange peel and 2 teaspoons salt to a simmer, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Add the beets, remove from the heat, and let stand for 30 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the orange juice, lemon juice and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar; season with salt. Whisk in the olive oil. Toss the watercress with half of the vinaigrette.
- Arrange the salmon and beets on 6 plates. Top with the watercress and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette.
- Chill salad plates for a few minutes in the fridge before plating.