Even a classic like creamed corn deserves a makeover. Grilling the corn adds a smoky richness. Taste for yourself— then use it in this recipe.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 1 1/2cups a class="orange-linK" href="/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/salad-recipes/Grilled-Creamed-Corn">Grilled Creamed Corn
- 1/2cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4cup vegetable oil
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 8 slices
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
- Preheat a grill to medium. In a large bowl, combine the creamed corn, onion, breadcrumbs, eggs, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Position a large cast-iron skillet over the grate. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and heat until hot. Working in batches, drop 1/4 cupfuls of the batter onto the skillet, leaving an inch in between. Cover and cook, turning once and pressing gently to flatten, until browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with another 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and the remaining batter.
- Increase the heat to high. Brush the tomato slices with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange on the grate in a single layer and grill, turning once, until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the corn fritters to a platter and top with the tomato slices and basil.