This recipe can be made a day or two ahead and stored in the refrigerator. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 30 mins
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups hulled pumpkin seeds (8 ounces)
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage (about 10 leaves)
- 5 ounces soft goat cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice of 2 lemons (5 to 6 tablespoons)
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the pumpkin seeds and cook, stirring, until they begin to turn brown (some will pop), about 5 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin seed mixture to a food processor along with the parsley, sage, goat cheese and water. Turn the processor on and drizzle in the remaining 6 tablespoons of olive oil, until the mixture reaches an oatmeallike consistency. Transfer to a bowl and add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.