Assemble the sandwiches up to three hours ahead of time; then top with the relish just before serving.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 30 mins
- 1 20 ouncecan crushed pineapple
- 1 jalapenocored, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4cup unsalted butter, softened
- 16 slices cocktail-size pumpernickel bread
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 16 thin slices European-style smoked ham, such as Black Forest (about 8 ounces)
- Drain the pineapple and press down on it to thoroughly remove all of the liquid. In a bowl, combine the pineapple, jalapeno, vinegar and mustard seeds. Stir well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Butter a slice of bread, then spread a thin layer of the mustard on top of the butter. Fold a piece of ham to fit the bread and place it on top, followed by a dollop (about 1 tablespoon) of the pineapple mixture. Repeat with the remaining bread slices.