These corn and cheese poppers have Southern hospitality in every bite.
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 14 1/2ouncecan chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 4 ouncejars sliced pimientos, drained (1/2 cup)
- Cayenne pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth and 2 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Gradually stir in the grits and salt. Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the grits are thick, about 7 minutes. Pour the grits into an ungreased 9-by-13-inch baking dish and let cool slightly. Cover and freeze until set, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the cheese, mayonnaise, onion and half the pimientos until smooth. Stir in the remaining pimientos and season to taste with the cayenne.
- Invert the grits onto a work surface and cut into 2-inch squares. Brush the top and bottom of each grits cake with olive oil and arrange on a baking sheet. Top each with some of the pimiento cheese. Broil until golden, about 5 minutes on each side.