Make a meal out of this recipe by stuffing the shrimp and salsa into a taco shell.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 5 mins
- 1 medium mango, diced (about 1-1/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped peeled ginger
- Juice of 2 limes (3 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3cup kosher salt
- 1/3cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4pounds jumbo shrimp (about 20), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro, plus cilantro sprigs for garnish
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- Combine the mango, red onion, jalapeno, ginger, lime juice and 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days. Season to taste with salt.
- Stir the salt and brown sugar into 1 quart of cold water until dissolved. Add the shrimp and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil with the chopped cilantro, honey, garlic, parsley, red pepper flakes and wine and set aside.
- Remove the shrimp from the brine and rinse thoroughly, then pat dry. Toss the shrimp with the marinade. Transfer the shrimp and marinade to a resealable plastic bag and marinate for at least 20 minutes or up to 45 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the broiler or a grill. Cook the shrimp until just cooked through, about 1-1/2 minutes per side. Arrange the shrimp on plates and top with the mango salsa and cilantro sprigs. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2005 (New Zealand)
- Stand the mango on the stem end. Cut off the round halves, keeping your knife parallel to the large, oval seed in the center.
- Cut a crosshatch pattern into each half with your knife, being careful not to cut all the way through the skin.
- Press on the skin side of the mango to "pop" out hte mango cubes, using a small knife to help remove them from the skin.