Makes: 32 servings
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 small japanese eggplants
- Toasted sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- Finely chopped chives, for sprinkling
- In a small saucepan, whisk together 6 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil and 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar; bring to a boil and cook until reduced by one-third. Slice 4 small japanese eggplants, alternating between crosswise and diagonal cuts to make 32 wedges about 1 inch long. Stand the eggplant wedges on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Brush with toasted sesame oil and bake in a 375 degrees oven for 15 minutes. Brush with two-thirds of the soy glaze and bake for 10 minutes more, then brush with the remaining soy glaze. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and finely chopped chives. Serve warm.