Coating the pickle chips might be tricky, but these tangy, addictive munchies are well worth the effort.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 1/2teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2teaspoons sugar
- 4 large eggs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 16 ouncejar bread-and-butter pickle chips, drained
- In a wide, shallow dish, whisk together the flour, garlic powder, salt, paprika, cayenne and sugar. In another wide, shallow dish, lightly beat the eggs.
- Fill a large pot with enough oil to reach a depth of 2 inches and heat over medium-high heat until it registers 350 degrees on a deep-fat thermometer. Working in batches, toss the pickles in the flour mixture, pressing to adhere. Shake off any excess flour, then toss gently in the eggs to coat. Coat with the flour mixture again. Shake off any excess flour, then add to the oil. Fry, turning occasionally after the pickles rise to the top, until browned, 8 to 9 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.