Once you try these cheesy party bites, get creative! Combine brie and raspberry jam; cheddar and julienned ham; or whatever you like.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 6 sticks string cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 24 wonton wrappers (available in the refrigerated section)
- Hot pepper sauce, for dipping
- Pour enough oil into a medium saucepan to reach a depth of 1 1/2 inches; place over low heat.
- Place a piece of string cheese diagonally across the center of a wonton wrapper. Moisten the edges of the wrapper with water, lift up all 4 corners and pinch them together to meet in the center, forming a bundle. Firmly pinch the sides of the wonton wrapper together, squeezing out as much air as possible. Repeat with the remaining string cheese pieces and wrappers.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and heat the oil for a few minutes, until hot enough to brown a small piece of wonton wrapper in about 1 minute. Add 4 to 6 bundles and cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain, then fry the remaining bundles.
- Serve the bundles at once with the hot sauce on the side.