Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
- 4 hass avocados (about 7 oz. each), preferably organic
- 1 serrano chile, stemmed and minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 - 3 teaspoons fresh lime juice, plus 1 lime cut into wedges
- 1/2teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 bag good-quality tortilla chips
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocado flesh with a fork until somewhat chunky (not smooth). One at a time, gently stir in the chile, garlic, onion, tomato, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface and let sit for about 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop.
- Season with salt to taste (remember that tortilla chips are salty). Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl, garnish with a sprinkle of cilantro and serve with lime wedges and tortilla chips.