Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups Basic Batter
- 1 pound large shrimp (about 16 pieces), peeled with tail on and butterflied
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, 2 teaspoons poppy seeds and 1 teaspoon each dried garlic and salt; sprinkle over the paper towels. In another small bowl, combine the cream cheese, half-and-half and 1/4 cup scallions; season with salt.
- Fill a large pot with enough oil to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat over medium-high heat until it registers 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the batter and the remaining 1/4 cup scallions, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds and 2 teaspoons each poppy seeds and dried garlic. Season the shrimp with salt. Working in batches, hold the shrimp by the tail and dip in the batter mixture; place in the oil and fry, turning once, until golden, about 5 minutes. Drain on the seed-covered paper towels, lightly coating with the mixture. Serve with the scallion cream cheese dip.