Serve with roasted asparagus.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water.
- In the same pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin and heavy cream and bring to a boil. Return the pasta to the pot along with the reserved pasta cooking water and toss. Stir in the parmesan; season with salt and pepper.
- Top the pasta with the parsley and more parmesan.
- Add chopped ham when cooking the onion.