Serve with bread sticks.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound medium pasta shells
- 2 pounds tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a cup, combine the garlic and olive oil. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until al dente, about 11 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, crush the tomatoes with your hands; season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the garlic from the olive oil and discard. Add the garlic oil, butter and lemon peel to the tomatoes. Add the pasta and toss, adding a splash of the reserved pasta cooking water to thin the sauce, if necessary. Add the basil and season with salt and pepper; toss. Serve with the parmesan.
- I'M Deep Rose 2007 (California), Etude Rose of Pinot Noir 2007 (California)
- Add small cubes of fresh mozzarella to the pasta along with the sauce before tossing.