Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- 8 egg-roll wrappers (available in the refrigerated section)
- 8 slices deli ham
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream and cook, stirring continuously, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Set the cream sauce aside; then stir in the salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta and mozzarella and the egg.
- Spread a thin layer of the cream sauce (about 1 1/2 cups) in the bottom of a 9-by-9-inch baking dish. Arrange an egg-roll wrapper on a work surface. Spread 3 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture over the wrapper, cover with a slice of ham, then roll up to form a log, jelly-roll style. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and place the cannelloni, seam side down, in a single layer in the baking dish.
- Spoon the remaining cream sauce over the cannelloni, top with the Parmigiano-Reggiano and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Chateau Ste. Michelle Columbia Valley Chardonnay 2004 (Washington)
- Use whole milk instead of heavy cream; and skim-milk ricotta and low-fat mozzarella in place of whole-milk cheeses.