Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Grill: 20 mins
- 4 cloves garlic, 1 clove finely chopped
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts (about 3-1/2 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups mesclun greens
- Preheat a grill for indirect medium heat. Using a food processor, puree the 3 whole cloves garlic, the lemon peel and 1 teaspoon each lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Using your fingers, gently loosen the skin of the chicken breasts and spread the lemon mixture underneath. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on the undersides of the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the chicken, skin side down, on an oiled grate over direct heat, cover and grill until golden and marks appear, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and place the chicken, skin side up, over indirect heat, cover and grill until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a work surface, drizzle with some lemon juice and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a salad bowl, whisk together the finely chopped garlic, balsamic vinegar and remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, cheese, onion and mesclun greens and toss; season with salt and pepper. Serve with the chicken.
- Cut back on fat by removing the chicken skin and leaving the seasoning paste on while refrigerating for at least 1 hour.
- Swap in fresh mozzarella for the feta.
- Sandwich the ingredients between grilled bread brushed with mayonnaise.