Black-eyed peas, no strangers to Southern cooking, add texture and flavor to this traditional buttermilk cornbread.
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Bake: 25 mins
- 2 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chiles, drained (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate large bowl, stir together the buttermilk, cheese, eggs and butter. Stir in the black-eyed peas and the chiles, if using.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients; using a fork, stir gently until just combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake until golden-brown, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 20 minutes, then cut into 12 squares.