Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 1 hr
- 1/2cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 onions, chopped (1-1/3 cup)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 28 ouncecans whole peeled san marzano tomatoes, pureed with their juices
- 7 leaves fresh basil
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and the basil and bring to a simmer over high heat. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes more.
- Score an "X" in the bottom of the tomato and place in boiling water for 1 minute.
- Place the tomatoes into ice water.
- Starting at the "X," pull off the skin.
- Add the baked meatballs to the simmering sauce during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Serve over the cooked pasta.