Pups love these crispy, bacon-y bites!
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 slices lean bacon
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- In a small saucepan, bring the chicken broth and rice to a boil over high heat; reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, 16 to 18 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid if necessary and let cool.
- While the rice cools, in a nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain and reserve the bacon fat in the skillet. Finely chop the bacon and add to the cooled rice.
- Mix the egg and bread crumbs into the rice and combine thoroughly. Wet your hands to prevent sticking, then form the egg-rice mixture into 4 thin patties.
- Reheat the bacon fat over medium heat. Add the rice cakes and cook, turning once, until golden, about 4 minutes on each side.