Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 8 baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound hot italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon jarred horseradish
- 1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat the broiler. In a pot, combine the potatoes and enough salted water to cover by 1 inch. Cover and bring to a boil, then uncover and cook until fork-tender, about 10 minutes; drain. Mash in 1/2 cup chicken broth and the cream; season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large, ovenproof skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, breaking it up, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes; using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a bowl. Add the cabbage, onion and garlic to the pan, season with salt and pepper and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and the horseradish. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked sausage and the parsley, reserving 1 teaspoon for sprinkling.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes onto the sausage mixture and broil until the potatoes are golden, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the reserved parsley.
- Swap ground turkey for the sausage for a lighter twist; saute with finely chopped garlic and crushed red pepper for added flavor and heat.
- Assemble individual servings in ovenproof bowls.
- Chop any leftover veggies from the refrigerator and add with the cabbage in Step 2.