Boldly flavored ingredients like briny olives, cured meats and smoky cheeses are perfect when you're jonesing for some salt -- and a little goes a long way.
1. Cheesy Kale Chips: Tear kale leaves into large pieces and arrange on a baking sheet. Spritz with olive oil and bake in a 350° oven until crisp. While still warm, sprinkle with grated parmesan.
2. Tamari-seasoned rice crackers are a salt lover's vehicle for tuna salad. We like to punch it up with a squeeze of sriracha chili sauce!
3. Mound chopped smoked salmon onto lettuce leaves and top with dill.
4. Sprinkle drained canned artichoke hearts with lemon zest, capers, chopped fresh basil and olive oil. Eat with toothpicks, as if you were in Italy.
5. Crumble feta cheese over cold watermelon cubes; sprinkle with slivered fresh mint.
6. Munch on dried nori (seaweed) strips -- they're surprisingly addictive!
7. Stuffed Mushrooms: Briefly microwave button mushroom caps until softened. Fill with jarred pesto and a little chopped ham.
8. Smoked Turkey Pinwheels: Spread a layer of softened cream cheese on sliced smoked turkey breast and top with thinly sliced tomato. Roll up and cut into 1-inch pieces.
9. You know what's delicious on baked potato chips? Chopped hard-boiled egg seasoned with lemon, parsley and anchovies (trust us!).
10. Spruce up a shot of tomato juice by topping it with finely chopped cooked shrimp, scallions and crumbled saltines.
11. Pile smoked gouda slices and dried cherries on a whole wheat tortilla and microwave until hot and melty.
12. Whisk together peanut butter, tamari and a few drops of water. Use as an Asian-style dip for baby bok choy.
13. Mini Mock Reubens: Turn pub food into a power snack. Spread mustard on thin slices of pumpernickel cocktail bread, heap with sauerkraut and sprinkle with pickle relish and a small amount of shredded swiss. Pop them under the broiler.
14. Five-Spice Pumpkin Seeds: Toss salted pumpkin seeds (also known as pepitas) with sesame oil and chinese five-spice powder, then bake at 350° until crisp.
15. Turn cucumber slices into crackers: Spread them with olive tapenade and garnish with chopped fresh tarragon.
16. Whole wheat pretzels are always delicious, but they're flat-out irresistible when slathered with spicy mustard spiked with ancho chile powder and sea salt.
17. Buffalo Popcorn: Toss air-popped popcorn with olive oil, a little hot sauce and a handful of crumbled blue cheese to season.
18. Combine a little butter with a lot of chopped chives and dill. Spread on rye crackers and top with sliced red radishes and sea salt.
19. Inside-Out Hot Dog: Wrap a dill pickle spear in a paper-thin slice of ham and dip in ballpark mustard.Continued on page 2: